Army MOS 35H
Common Ground Station Operator
Primary Duties: Supervises or participates in detecting, locating and tracking ground targets and rotary wing and slow moving fixed wing aircraft.
The GSA receives Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System (JSTARS) near-realtime radar imagery data, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) imagery, Commander’s Tactical Terminal/Joint Tactical Terminal (CTT/JTT) Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) data, and Secondary Imagery Dissemination (SIDS) products which are transmitted to the Common Ground Station (CGS) to provide situational development, battle management, and targeting information and imagery intelligence of value to the commander.
Skill Level 1 Participates in pre-mission planning for aerial surveillance and reconnaissance missions. Deploys and reploys the IGS in a tactical environment. Operates the data systems and communication equipment organic to the IGS. Analyzes JSTARS near-real-time radar imagery data, SIGINT data and SIDS products received via the CTT/JTT. Analyzes softcopy imagery, to include infrared and electro-optics received from UAV platforms. Assists in the development of Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield (IPB) products in support of IGS mission planning. Prepares JSTARS imagery analysis reports. Performs maintenance on the prime mover and the IGS mission equipment.
Skill Level 2 Performs duties shown in preceding skill level and provides guidance to subordinate soldiers. Supervises IGS shift operations. Performs reconnaissance and IGS site selection. Performs IPB in support of IGS mission planning. Participates in pre-mission planning for aerial surveillance and reconnaissance missions. Prepares and disseminates JSTARS imagery analysis reports.
Skill Level 3 Performs duties shown in preceding skill level. Supervises IGS operations and maintenance of related equipment. Oversees the analysis of JSTARS imagery, CTT/JTT information and UAV imagery. Supervises development and dissemination of intelligence products. Participates in/conducts mission briefings. Performs liaison with outside agencies. Manages GSM security requirements.
Skill Level 4 Performs duties shown in preceding skill level. Supervises JSTARS operations and activities. Incorporates the IGS mission into the overall collection plan. Assists in planning and using IGS and other surveillance resources. Instructs subordinates in proper softcopy imagery analysis techniques and procedures. Advises the G2/G3/FSO on compilation of IGS tasks and requirements.
Skill Level 5 Performs duties shown in preceding skill level. Plans, coordinates, supervises and participates in activities pertaining to organization, training, operations, and intelligence of JSTARS units.
MOS 35H Video
- Must be a US citizen.
- Formal training (completion of MOS 96H course under the auspices of U.S. Army Intelligence Center mandatory.
- Successfully completed (and show proof of credit by official copy of transcript) 1 year of high school algebra.
- Security clearance of SECRET
- Meet career management and development criteria contained in AR 600-200, AR 614-200, and DA Pam 351-4.
- No record of court-martial
- No record of conviction by a civil court for any offense other than minor traffic violations
- No information in military personnel, Provost Marshal, intelligence, or medical records which will prevent the granting of security clearance under AR 604-5
- Never been a member of the U.S. Peace Corps, except as specified in AR 614-200, chapter 1
- Normal color vision
- Near vision correctable to approximately 14/14 (inches) standard Snellen, distance vision correctable to 20/20 (inches) standard Snellen and normal stereoscopic acuity with or without correction
- Pass hearing acuity test on audiometer. Sound amplitude must not exceed 15 decibels at frequencies 250, 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 CPS (HZ).