ODAs are deployed around the world in rapid-response situations whether it’s during peacetime, crisis or war. The Special Forces Officer is the team leader of an ODA, responsible for mission organization, outfitting the team and debriefing mission objectives.
Special Forces Officers can expected to deal with the following five mission types:
- Direct Action (short strikes to seize, capture or destroy enemy weapons or personnel)
- Foreign Internal Defense
- Special Reconnaissance
- Unconventional Warfare (equip, advise, and assist forces in guerrilla warfare>
As a Special Forces Captain, you can expect to have additional responsibilities:
- Commanding and controlling Special Forces operations in the missions stated above.
- Coordinate employment of Special Forces Soldiers at all levels of command, from ODA to group level and beyond, in U.S. and multi-national operations.
- Develop doctrine, organizations and equipment for unique Unconventional Warfare missions.
- Provide instruction on Special Forces processes, systems and equipment at service schools and intelligence training centers.
- Serve as an Unconventional Warfare advisor to other Special Operations units in other armed services.