As a first-term Judge Advocate, your typical responsibilities will be:
- Prosecute criminal cases under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).
- Provide legal assistance (wills, powers of attorney, etc.) to Soldiers, Officers, and their families.
- Provide legal reviews of proposed Army actions at the unit/installation level.
- Provide ethics opinions regarding the use of Government resources.
- Represent Soldiers at courts-martial.
- Advise commanders of all levels on all legal issues as they arise.
As your career advances in the Judge Advocate General’s Corp, you will have the opportunity to serve in many different ways.
Typical careers include Chief of Justice, Chief of Client Services, Government or Defense Appellate Attorney, Special Assistant US Attorney, Litigation Attorney, Military Judge, Instructor (at the United States Military Academy or The Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School), or Staff Judge Advocate.