Their are several areas to specialize in as a Dental Corps officer:
- Comprehensive Dentist
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Pediatric Dentist
Responsibilities of a Dental Corps Lieutenant include:
- Commanding and controlling the Dental Corps units during emergency and non-emergency medical situations.
- Coordinate employment of Dental Corps Soldiers at all levels of command, from platoon to battalion and higher, in U.S. and multi-national operations.
Additional responsibilities of a Dental Corps Captain include:
- Commanding and controlling part of a Field Hospital, installation Dental or Medical Activity (DENTAC or MEDDAC), or larger Health Services Command.
- Coordinate employment of Dental Corps Soldiers at all levels of command, from company to division level and beyond, in U.S. and multi-national operations.
- Develop doctrine, organizations and equipment for unique dental and health care missions.
- Instruct dental skills at service schools and medical training centers.
- Serve as a dental or health care advisor to other units, including Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve organizations.